Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gibson Sues Activision over Guitar Hero

This just makes my day.

I love Gibson guitars. I own a 1976 Mark series MK 81, and it's the love of my life.

On the opposite end of the scale, I hate Guitar Hero (see my previous posing in January about all the reasons why).

So, when I see something like this happen, it just warms my little heart.

See, Gibson claims it had a patent in place for a video game device similar to the guitar used in Guitar Hero. Activision claims it is not in violation of any patent.

Wow. Once again, everyone is right and wrong at the same time. I love american justice. It's my favourite oxymoron.

Not that anything will become of the lawsuit. But it still makes me giggle on my birthday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, thank you for the trip through the archives. Secondly, I feel I have to stand up for my fellow man. I like Guitar Hero. I said it. I have all 3 games and 2 of those plastic guitars you were badmouthing. I have just this argument.

I understand. Your a musician, you put your head down, got through the monotony and learned how to read, write, and play music. When you see these people come in to a room with this stuff to a music insider it must look ludicrous. My analogy would be imagine if Michelangelo finished painting the Sistine Chapel then he walked outside and saw 5 people painting a similar design on a paint by numbers board, and listening to how awesome it was, I doubt he would dig it as much as everyone else does, or being a baseball player, and listening to me ramble on about how my favorite baseball movie is Major League. You just can't rap your head around how cool it is to be interactive with your favorite music,having never done it before, then getting good at it, and playing it on harder and harder difficulty levels as you struggle at first, then you get so good you get to dominate the game whenever you turn it on, with the ability to turn the dial to eleven,(awesome This is Spinal Tap drop)and demolish the solo to Free Bird, and you get that payoff you just don't get in games today, its a throwback in that way to the Mortal Kombat's and Street Fighter 2's of my childhood, and the Mrs. Pacman's, and Missile Command's of yours.

It's visceral and competitive and as a male with healthy amounts of testosterone coursing through my veins I can say that plus women is what we live for. Happy Birthday Abby. Good Luck with that Guitar Hero thing, Toronto has the highest amount of GH players per capita than any other city in the world.

Abby said...

Thanks for the comment. Though I dislike the game, I realize that it's incredibly popular for a reason.

I guess if it makes anyone stop listening to top 40 and start playing attention to rock, it's doing some good in the world.

I also like how you describe the connection players have to the music. Good perspective.

Abby

Abby said...

I still don't like it, though.