Monday, March 17, 2008

More BC Driving

I always get the urge to write about driving after, or just before, a road trip.

Tomorrow, I will depart Revelstoke for the wild and wooly drive to Calgary, Alberta.

In my journey, I will face two mountain passes and Canada's most deadly section of highway. There are mountain goats, avalanches, falling rock, hairpin turns, and potholes the size of Brian Mulroney's ego. Once I safely navigate the mountains, I must weave and wander through traffic to Calgary's northeast and the airport.

Then, I turn around and do it all over again.

Now, the dangers above are pretty standard on BC highways, but they aren't the reason the highway is so deadly, or why I dread the drive.

That prize goes to my fellow motorists.

If you've ever driven this section of highway (particularly on a holiday) you'll know exactly what I'm feeling. It's a combination of dread and resignation. Why? Because there are too many idiots behind the wheel, just waiting to cause me grief.

These are the people who are in a rush to be everywhere. They need that extra ten seconds passing me on a double line will bring them onroute to their snowmobiling/houseboating/skiing vacation. They are the truckers who were delayed by accidents and avalanches and have time to make up so they can scratch out a living.

Actually, the truckers are usually great, except when they are cut off and forced to respond by the idiots mentioned above.

Here is a shortlist of the infractions I usually witness/narrowly avoid when I travel this road:

  • tailgating
  • passing on double lines
  • passing on turns
  • passing on the right shoulder
  • passing at speeds in access of 150 km/h (then slowing to 60 km/h on the next bend)
  • failure to use turn signals
  • failure to use headlights
  • passing in snow sheds (yep, I can't believe it either)
  • cutting off transport trucks
  • cutting off snowplows
  • blinding oncoming traffic with high beams (on purpose)
  • aggressive and intimidating driving
  • excessive speeding
  • ignoring posted avalanche warning signs
  • passing flagpersons at excessive speeds and ignoring signage
  • passing accidents at excessive speeds
But don't tell my mother. She worries.

No comments: