Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Creating a set list is hard work

I've got a gig on Thursday night, opening for a Kelowna artist here in town. I've got six-eight songs to play and a local crowd to impress.

So I just pick eight songs, practice 'em up, and let 'em rip on Thursday, right?

Wrong.

Choosing songs, and the order in which to play them, is a tough job. Music creates a mood. A mood creates memories. Memories create fans that will later buy stuff and make me money.

So choosing the right songs, putting them in the right order, and performing them well is important to my future financial security. Or so I'd like to think.

Meanwhile, all I can think about is the lame 98 degrees song that was playing on the hotel stereo this morning. It's inhibited my ability to function properly. Three hours of classic rock haven't banished it from my consciousness. Sigh.

Crazy Train, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think I speak for all i-pod owners everywhere when I say, "we've all been there" to this day I haven't hit the shuffle feature because it always comes back, with really strange playlists, the most memorable of mine recently. God of Thunder, Endless Love, Crazy Bitch, Hey There Delilah, Seek & Destroy. Not exactly harmonious,

I feel the need to make an embarassing admission, a long time ago. The Backstreet Boys released a single, called I want it that a way I still haven't gotten the damn thing out of my head. It's to the point now that on rare occasions ill catch myself in the shower, preforming my own special version of the Ryan Carter dance. If you win that battle maybe you can bottle it and send some over.

Anyway enough of my demented problems have a great show darling, I rooting for ya.

Abby said...

That same Backstreet Boys song was placed on "repeat" broadcast on the camp radio station where I was working one summer. Everyone sang it for the remainder of the season.

All it would take was one person singing, "tell me why..." and the entire staff would break into song.

Someone even rewrote all the verses to deal with various camp goings on.

You aren't alone. :)