Sunday, February 3, 2008

Virus and blood-a conversation in my head

Earlier today, I staged an imaginary conversation between a virus and a white blood cell. All in my head, mind you, so my co-workers didn't freak out.

And yes, biologists do this all the time. At least, I think they do. I can't account for all of them, but the ones I attended university with are just as batty as I. It's a great form of entertainment when faced with monotony.

I chose these two cells, in a setting of the human bloodstream, because of a rampant cold virus running amok in our office. It seemed appropriate.

Just a note about italics. If it's in italics, it's a sound effect, so make the noise inside your head. Or out loud, I really don't care.

Here's a sample of how it went:
Vroooom! (the virus cell goes speeding through a cellular stop sign, somewhere near the bronchial tubes)
White blood cell (whose name is Phil): Stop! Who are you?
Scrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaak. (virus skids to a stop).
Virus (whose name is Kayos): Sorry, sir. I didn't realize there was a stop sign there.
Phil (floating closer): I don't think I know you. You aren't from around here, are you?
Kayos: Uh, yeah I am. I just look a little different today. I've been feeling under the weather. There's a gang of bad guys around, gave me a rough time the other day up by the epiglottis.
Phil (giving him the suspicious eye): I'm certain I haven't seen you around before. Anyone around that can vouch for you?
Kayos (getting edgy): Uh, well, it's no so crowded today, I don't see any of my friends....(hits the gas and peels away through the plasma)
Phil: That little bastard! (takes off after him at high speed)...

There was much more, involving back up T cells, a breakdown scene, and deep philosophical discussion during the trial of the virus, "really, how can you punish me for doing that which I was created to do?" etc. etc.

Sometimes I wish I could stand watching the SuperBowl, so my Sundays wouldn't end up like this.

No comments: