Thursday, October 9, 2008

Polls, Power, and the Race to be Prime Minister

Stephen Harper actually had to start campaigning this week, when his party's popularity took a dramatic swan dive. All the better for Canadians, I must say.

Not better in the sense that we will once again have a minority government and most likely have another election within two years. Not better in the sense that Stephen Harper won't be Prime Minister, either, because the Conservatives will still come out ahead until the left decides to join forces.

Better for Canadians, because now we get to see what Harper and the Conservatives are truly planning.

If not for the polling change, the Conservatives may not have released an official platform detailing their plans to Canadians. I believe that every party must release such a document, formal or informal, in order to properly inform the voting public.

If you can't tell me exactly what you plan to do, you don't have my vote. Period. I'll consider what you have to say, and what the other party platforms promise, and take it into account when I cast my ballot.

My underdog heart cheers on the Green Party as they surge to new popular heights, though it is doubtful they will elect an MP. That an environmental party can receive more popular votes than another "traditional" party (I'm pointing fingers at the Bloc, who shouldn't even be considered a national party as they only run candidates in one province) warms my little cockles. I'd like to cheer Elizabeth May on in Central Nova, if she weren't running against Peter MacKay, one of the best politicians in Canada right now.

My favourite reason to be cheerful? A drop in support for Jack Layton. It's about damn time. Will someone please tell Jack he will not, I repeat, will not be Canada's next leader, that he doesn't have a hope in hell? Oh, and please get back to vying for the role of Opposition. I'd like to see him put his vote where his mouth is, after all his lambasting of Liberal non-voting in the last Parliament. He might not be so quick to bring down the house himself.

That, my friends, is my political rambling for the day. Remember to laugh, and remember to vote.

No comments: