Tuesday, October 14, 2008

London Eccentric

I know, I know, there is an election today. I happen to be across the Atlantic, though, and can't really say much until much later this evening. Instead, I thought I'd pass on my recent observations about London and its inhabitants.

Let's call this list the "Odd and Atrocious":

1. Leggings and tights. Ladies of all ages and sizes love to wear tights with oversized shirts. Not so bad, normally, except the colours are becoming increasingly garish and reminiscent of my early 90s childhood. Shiver. Paired with...

2. Hideously ugly shoes, I'm under the impression that many women don't look in the mirror before leaving the house. The more inappropriate the footwear (and the more it clashes with the tights) the better, it seems. Big boots are popular--think mukluks and winter boots matched with sheer purple leggings and a dainty flowered tunic. Ghastly.
Shoes are fun. It's a great way to add flair and to perk up the mood. However, teetering down Essex Road at noon on a Tuesday in platform purple heels covered in white ostrich feathers is a bit much. Please stop.

3. Makeup overload. Maybe I'm a little jealous that I look horrible in skinny jeans or tights, but not of the face painting that goes on. The natural look is NOT in, apparently. It's the only reason I can fathom. After all, perfectly sane women don't wander around every day dressed like they just stumbled out of a trashy New York disco, do they? Well, they do here.

4. Customer service is generally thought to be an oxymoron here. Want it? Get it yourself. Oh, but leave me a big tip or I'll be extra surly.

5. Leaflet panhandlers are everywhere and in your face at all times. Take this! Buy this! Go to this club! Give this charity money! Extra funny if you run into someone handing out reams of paper that will never be read on how to reduce, reuse and recycle.

6. No ice hockey. Self-explanatory.

That's all I can think of at this moment for the negative side. On the plus end...

1. Delicious food. It's here. It's there. It's everywhere! Take out, delivery, restaurants...any kind of food you could possibly imagine, you can find here. Fabulous. Watch out for number 4 above though.

2. Markets. Food markets, craft markets, clothes, arts, antiques, junk...pick your poison, London has it. The Borough Food Market was a dream. I'm still drooling over the truffles we found on Saturday. I much prefer buying my food this way than from a supermarket.

3. Intelligent TV programming. 'Nuff said. Funny and smart, and not completely Americanized.

4. Chocolate. Delicious, abundant, and delicious. Did I mention the truffles?

5. Small shops. Big box stores exist here but in each little neighbourhood small shops grow and thrive. The baker, the tailor, the fishmonger, the cobbler...love it.

I'll keep adding to the list. After all, it's only been a week.

No comments: