Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Welcome to the 21st Century

I like to think Canada is a fairly liberated country. As a woman, I can basically do whatever I please, whenever I please.

Occasionally I am reminded, however, that the capacity of the mind is sometimes related to geography.

While living in Ontario or British Columbia, I was never really questioned about the work I did or about the non-traditional hobbies I might have. If a person thought I was odd, I was never aware of it after the initial introduction.

Only three weeks in to a long-awaited Maritime homecoming and I've found myself under the microscope.

I'm twenty eight years old. I'm unmarried and childless. I am a minority in New Brunswick. What's more, I'm looked at as an oddity by many people.

No, they aren't looking down on me. Not exactly. I'm just different. It's as if they can't understand why I would choose to do things outside their realm of normal.

Case in point? On our river trip last weekend, I'd estimate there were over 50 canoes on the river. Not one of them was controlled by a woman. Most of the women didn't even have a paddle. They floated along in the front of the boat, drinking, laughing, and enjoying themselves. It's just how things are done here.

When we stopped under a bridge during a downpour, someone dug out a guitar and passed it around. I picked it up and strummed out a few songs, drawing several curious stares. One guy actually said to me, "it's nice to see a girl play a guitar for once."

For once? What kind of isolated bubble do you live in?

A world bound with its traditional roles, held fast by fear of change and poverty.

It's home, but it's a wonder I don't belong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very interesting Abby, thanks!
Jason K. (Revelstoke)

MF37 said...

It's always interesting to see how different regions approach individuals.

In Toronto, the first or second question I'm always asked is what I do for a living.

When I lived in Halifax, people wanted to know who I was related to (and seemed to be disappointed that I was an "Upper Canadian")

When I was in northern California, people wanted to know if I worked for a publicly traded company...

MF37 said...

It's fascinating how different regions take different approaches to people.

Here, in Toronto, the first or second question I'm always asked is what I do for a living.

When I lived in Halifax it was always about my surname and who, locally, I might be related to (quickly followed by a low-key disappointment that I was an "Upper Canadian).

When I visit family in northern California, people want to know if I work for a publicly traded company or if my company will be doing an IPO anytime soon...