Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Whatever blows your skirt up...

As a rule, I don’t wear skirts.

A self-described rough and tumble tomboy, skirts have always been considered a nuisance since childhood. Climbing trees, building dams, riding bicycles-all these activities were much more comfortable in pants.

Adulthood finally caught up with me. Though I still have my tomboy moments, there are no real constraints that keep me from wearing a skirt or a dress on any given day. For some reason, though, I always reach for the jeans, the sweatpants, the dress trousers.

I hadn’t really considered my reasons for avoiding skirts until I returned to my hometown this spring. After some thought on the matter, I came up with a list of reasons most women wouldn’t wear skirts:

1. Ugly legs. Those knobby knees, flabby thighs, and hideously scarred shins. Swollen ankles are another. Some women don’t want to expose their varicose veins and cellulite to the world. On behalf of humanity, I thank you for this.

2. Feminism. If I looked hard enough, I’m certain I could find a woman who adamantly refuses to wear dresses or skirts because of the feminist movement. That imaginary conversation might go something like this:

“Skirts? Dresses? I’ve spent twenty years trying to prove to the world that I am every bit as intelligent as a man. I’ve worked countless hours to work my way to the top. To me, frilly skirts and dresses symbolize the stay at home wife that I am trying to escape.”

Okay, so it would be less of a conversation, more of a tirade. Even more moderate feminists and independent business women might balk at wearing a skirt for equality reasons. A woman might not wear skirts because of the implication she might be using her body (feminine attraction) to get ahead in the workplace.

3. Lifestyle restrictions. Pipefitters, welders, and Olympic runners might not wear skirts or dresses because they simply can’t perform in them. January in Siberia isn’t the time or place to be wearing a cute mini, either.

4. Dislike. Maybe some women just don’t like wearing skirts. No ulterior motives necessary.

5. Past trauma. That poodle skirt you were forced to wear, the frilly bridesmaid’s dress…we all have an outfit that we were forced to wear. Perhaps the trauma affected some of us more deeply. This also takes into account sudden gusts of wind at inopportune moments.

None of these reasons really seemed to apply to me, however. Browsing through stores and shops, I found so many cute and flattering skirts this spring. I decided I was going to buy several and start wearing them.

Upon arriving in New Brunswick, my skirts were unpacked and hung neatly in the closet. There they have stayed, untouched, for three weeks, except for a shopping excursion out of town.

Why is it I don’t want to wear a skirt here? Yesterday, I finally figured it out.

Growing up in this small town, the only people who wore skirts on a daily basis were members of the Pentecostal churches. Church protocol required these women to wear long skirts, forgo makeup, and keep their hair long. I went to school with many girls who struggled through gym class because they weren’t allowed to wear pants. Some would wear baggy shorts or pants, but most would simply sit on the sidelines.

I couldn’t understand why these women chose to put such restrictions on themselves. I still don’t, not really. It is my firm belief that everyone can believe or say what they wish, as long as they are not harming or impeding the rights of others to do the same. These women are welcome to live as they choose, but they stand in my mind as a symbol of oppression.

Most of my female friends in these churches were not encouraged into post-secondary education. The majority of them came from very poor families. They were expected to find a man, marry, and produce children. Many of my friends work, but many women are also discouraged from doing so.

This is why I have avoided skirts. The long skirt is representative, in my mind, of modern day, self-afflicted oppression that these women face. The skirt represents struggle, poverty, standing on the fringes of society. Women who don’t have the freedom to be the type of woman that I choose to be. And I’m tired of my mind behaving in this way.

To be sure, there are exceptions to this rule. Though these women may outwardly appear to be oppressed, many would not consider themselves so. They consider their lives to be full and happy. That is their choice, and they are welcome to it. It is this image, however, this childhood bias that stands in my mind whether it is truth or not.

So today, I’m going to open up my closet and pull out my cute little black skirt, a trendy t-shirt, and dispel my internal myths about what my clothing means.

No comments: