Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Conservatives against censorship

Sometimes I am frightened by what I see on television.

When the show that I'm watching features Mary Walsh and some guy from some lobbyist group, I would normally bet that Walsh will provide more entertainment value. I mean, this is the lady that slathered bright red lipstick all over Stephen Harper, tells dirty jokes to Paul Martin, and constantly reminded Canadians not to take our politicians seriously.

Imagine my surprise when the greatest source of my amusement came from Charles McVety, the president of the Canada Family Action Coalition. Mary Walsh wasn't even close.

He was on the Hour to discuss Bill C-10, which will allow the government to refuse funding for film projects that are deemed offensive. No wait, sorry, it's an income tax bill. Oops.

I'm not getting into a debate over that. To me, it's fairly cut and dried. Quite honestly, if what is being created is so great, you shouldn't need my tax dollars to pay for it. The issue itself wasn't the source of my amusement; nor was it the demeanor of the host, who obviously wanted to strangle McVety. It was a quote about censorship.

"I'm a Conservative!" exclaimed McVety. "I'm against censorship!"

Are you laughing yet? Because I am.

Conservatives? Censorship? No, the current Conservative government doesn't apply any principles to the general public that it wouldn't apply to its own party.

By the way, when was the last time Stephen Harper faced a media scrum without pre-submitted questions? The last time a cabinet minister was able to make a comment of their own violition?

Short answer: you can't remember, because it doesn't happen. It's a tightly censored ship that the Conservatives run. And the CFAC is near and dear to the government's heart. That's why this remark so glaringly stands out in my mind.

On their website, the CFAC applauds the efforts of Maclean's magazine columnist by Mark Steyn, currently facing charges from the Canadian Human Rights Commission for published material that offended members of the Muslim community (from his book America Alone, discussing the dangerous rise of Islamic fundamentalism in the western world). I agree that the charges are a travesty. If the media can't stir up controversy, then what is the point? I don't agree with all Steyn has to say, but hey, that's my right as a free-thinking Canadian.

Yes, the CFAC do stand for freedom of speech. When it suits their purposes. Immediately below the news links is a quote from Chris Hedges (author of I don't Believe in Atheists), attacking atheists as fundamentalists themselves. Ones that shouldn't be able to spread their blasphemy to our children. Because they (the Christian right) don't agree with it.

Hmm. Conundrum. Funny. Don't you think? So where exactly does the CFAC stand?

We're against censorship, as long as we can say what we like about you. You, on the other hand, can't say anything about us, or your own beliefs, because it offends us.

Just as a note, all the links on the website that explain the CFAC views currently do not work. The donation button, however, is alive and functioning well.

No comments: