Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Too litte, too late, and not enough

I love it.

A press release stating that tomorrow, we're going to announce that MLSE is firing someone, and hiring someone else.

Not that the firing is a surprise. I've been expecting it since October (and complaining, loudly, about the delay of the inevitable). Like all sports fans, I think I know what's best for "my" team, not like those idiots holding the reins.

But I digress. Is it just me, or isn't it kind of redundant to state you're going to fire someone tomorrow? Or to make an announcement that you'll be making an announcement to announce what you're relaying in the first announcement?

Just get it over with, already! Okay, you fired Ferguson. Like we couldn't see that coming. In a stroke of senility, MLSE re-hired geriatric Cliff Fletcher, whom they previously fired for his inability. Hmm. Sounds like a Stanley Cup winning move to me.

I can't be a Leafs fan without being a cynical, eye-rolling pessimist. It just isn't possible. The truth, as I see it, remains the same, no matter who stands behind the bench or plops his behind in the GM seat (which is probably a cushy place to be, win or lose). Why? We all know why. The owners want to make money, and they do so whether the team sits atop the standings or flails about in the basement.

Oh, lots of hand-wringing goes on, posturing and such. I'm sure Peddie wanders home after every press conference and giggles gleefully to himself, like Scrooge McDuck rolling about in his bank vault. (On weekends, they invite teachers over for giant coin-counting parties).

So, I'm going to pull out my crystal ball and predict what's going to happen. Fletcher is going to come in, and some shuffling is going to happen. Most likely, he'll trade Sundin (fingers crossed) and then re-sign him in the summer (which is the worst idea ever). He might make a few other crappy trades to try and spice things up for the rest of the season, maybe even move a goalie if we're lucky. However, the best best would be to let the team finish dead last, get a good draft position, and look forward.

Then again, it's very easy to sling orders from where I sit. And ol' Cliffy might find he won't have the freedom he enjoyed in the nineties.

Sit back, and enjoy the drama. This is better than "Days of our Lives."

No comments: