Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Toronto gets on the food wagon

How I loathe to write anything about Toronto, but this is news I cannot resist.

My favourite part of wandering the streets in Europe is the sheer variety of food available, usually 24 hours a day. Felafels, kebabs, couscous, salads, sushi, noodles, crepes, waffles, smoothies...you name it, you can find it on a cart here in London somewhere.

A particular favourite is the seafood shack at Cross Street/Essex Road in Islington. Street calamari? Oh yes. And I haven't been hospitalized with dysentry once.

Toronto claims to be cosmopolitan, but it isn't. Expanding the variety of vending options is a small step in the right direction. All claims of food safety aside, there isn't any reason why this shouldn't have happened long ago.

I look forward to a greater late night selection the next time I'm stumbling along Yonge Street in the wee sma's.

No comments: