Monday, September 8, 2008

Clarity and Transparency for...?

Well folks, it's not even nine thirty in the morning, and I've already had my exercise for the day. Exercise in futility, that is.

After listening to the local CBC morning host speak to various campaign organizers this morning, I decided that most Canadians don't have two sweet clues about individual party policy. My brilliant idea was to provide a simple breakdown of each party's particular policy on key issues, with a new post each day on a new issue.

Fairly simple, right? That's what I thought. Zip onto each party website, download and read their party policies, and sum it up without all the political gobblygook so the four people who read my blog can make an informed choice. That way, we should end up with four Canadians who at least know why they voted in the way they did.

The first website I searched was the Green Party of Canada, mainly because I was rather disgusted by the representative who had just spoken on the radio. The Greens have a link from their main page directly to a policy page. From there, they have further divided their policy documents into key issues, which can be viewed online or downloaded for convenience. Simple. Effective. This is what they stand for, this is what they want to do.

Next, I searched the Conservatives. Crafty as they are, the top Google search brings up the French version of their site, not English (hmm, wonder where they are campaigning?) and the alternate language button was hard to discern, but I found it. After reading about how cool Stephen Harper is, all the horrible things the Liberals did in the past fifteen years, how awkward Stephane Dion is (they have cartoon like pictures of him along the bottom, quite amusing), how incompetent the NDP are, and how the Bloc are destroying the country, I was still no closer to finding any policy documents. I gave myself a five minute search limit and hadn't found anything by the end of my time. If I couldn't find what I wanted in five minutes, the average click and go Net user isn't going to bother. So, I don't know what the Conservatives are planning, beyond a continuation of what we've seen this minority government do.

After that came the NDP, because Jack Layton sends me amusing emails telling me about how he's fighting big banks to reduce my credit card interest. The NDP are also conducting a leader-driven campaign-the site is all about Jack. Policy documents weren't anywhere easily found here, either. There was an abundance of information about the horrors of the Conservative government's recent decisions, Liberal bumbling, and how Jack Layton has been single-handedly saving Canadians from the Conservative horde. From what I understood, the NDP are going to do the opposite of whatever the Conservatives say they are going to do.

On the Liberal site, you can request a lawn sign. They like their lawn signs. There is also a large section on Dion and honesty (which talks about all the promises broken by the Conservatives). There is a small amount of general policy on the economy, the proposed green tax shift, and...that's it.

The Bloc Quebecois site, of course, is in French, so the English speaking parts of Canada may miss out on their policy. Which is sad, considering it isn't half bad. The only sticky part is that it is focused only on Quebec, and oh yeah, they want to separate from the country. In terms of finding policy documents, though, the Bloc have links directly from their index page to the key issues, again downloadable by PDF.

So I apologize that I couldn't give you an immediate, lazy researcher's overview of the Canadian election. I'll dig a little deeper, but if you want my opinion, the parties that seem to know what they want to do (other than slag their competition) are the Bloc and the Greens.

Let the games begin.

No comments: