Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Candidate Credibility

I'm going to say this once, and let the whole matter drop.

Politicians, doctors, lawyers, celebrities of all shades, and normal people are all alike. We are human. We make mistakes. We do stupid things.

We tell off-colour jokes when we shouldn't, we get drunk on planes and gossip to the people sitting next to us, we steal pens from the office, we tried illegal drugs when we were younger. Okay, so some of us didn't do any of these things, and never will.

Those people are boring, righteous, and never make it anywhere in politics because of it.

I'm tired of listening to precious news time getting used up by digging skeletons out of candidate's closets. So far I haven't heard anything that is really worth mentioning. More importantly, candidates are becoming fearful of drawing attention to themselves in a race that is SUPPOSED to bring them attention. It drives me crazy.

So unless a candidate is breaking a law, violating human or constitutional rights, or is a raving lunatic, I really don't care. If we pick every single candidate apart, we'll have no one to run the government. Let them apologize, forgive them, and get on with it.

I want to know if my candidate will voice my concerns in Parliament, fight for my rights and my needs. I want to know that he or she knows the issues and has a firm stance. I want to know what the heck the eventual winner of this election is going to do with my hard earned money.

I want to know if I'm going to be able to find a family doctor in the next ten years. I want to know what the government is going to do to protect my air, keep my water clean, and keep my energy costs low. I want to know if my nieces and nephews will get an adequate education. I want to know that my parents are going to receive the health coverage they need. I want to know that my government isn't going to spend itself into a giant deficit.

I don't care if a candidate smoked dope, or had an extra-marital affair, or tried acid. I DON'T CARE. Now, as a society, can we please move on to the truly important things?

No comments: