Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hellbent and Nashville Bound


We are here, and sufficiently recovered to post a little about our traveling adventures.

Stephanie and I eventually reached Nashville at nine in the morning, April Fool’s Day. While Stephanie had a nap, I joined forces with Joanne, Jane and Gord to launch an attack on the Opryland Hotel complex.

I don’t know who thought of building a complex ecosystem/conservatory in the middle of a hotel, but they were pretty smart. The Haagen Daz helped with the sleep hangover as well.

The Opryland complex is large and sprawling. Green grass and flowers everywhere. It was a little surreal to be walking around in a t-shirt, but I recovered quickly.

Especially after we visited the Gibson retail store, where I drooled over many a thing, but came away with only a t shirt and stickers. I’ve learned my lesson there (for the time being…the mandolins were looking pretty cool. I may come home with one if I’m not careful.)

Afternoon was my turn to nap, but I really wasn’t interested when there were so many things to do. I stuck with it for a few hours while the crew was downtown, then we all headed out to the Mercy Lounge.

Standing in line with the chilly breeze blowing through us, Stephanie and I were eyeing the “pass holders” line grow, optimism dying with every minute, when there was a little stirring in the back of our own line. Why?

Vince Gill had arrived. You see, Tin Pan South is a songwriter’s event that draws hundreds of songwriters to Music City. Every night, every live venue is packed with featured songwriters.

Last night, at the Mercy Lounge, Vince Gill, Al Anderson, and Karyn Richelle were playing. For fifteen dollars, we experienced one of Nashville’s biggest stars, one of its most prolific songwriters, and one who soon will be among one or both of those categories. All in a small bar on Cannery Row.

Karyn was absolutely amazing. Her voice, her songwriting, were phenomenal. It was both inspiring and extremely frustrating at the same time. She started singing, and I thought, “Wow.”

By the time her first song finished, I was thinking, “Man, I might as well quit now.”

I’ll get over that quickly, when I get back to working on my own thing.

Vince was awesome, as he always is. Remember Mom, he was part of the first concert I ever saw? He sang songwriter’s songs, of course, but he also sang “I believe in you and me” and “Liza Jane” just for fun.

It was a level of skill and performance to enjoy, to swell the aspirations.

And that was only the first night!

Today the girls have hunted out an outlet mall, so a-shopping we must go. Steph and I will take on the Country Music Hall of Fame later this afternoon, perhaps.

Wish you were here.

No comments: