Sunday, February 10, 2008

Puzzling

I like doing Sudoku puzzles.

Apparently, I'm not the only one, as they are easy to come by. My friend recently asked me why I liked them. He couldn't understand the attraction.

That got me thinking about it, and when I think about something, I usually end up with a deep thought. This time, it's not so deep, but you'll get the point.

We live in a world that overloads us with everything. Sensory overload, stress overload, work overload, play overload, love overload.

Numbers are simple. Math is simple. There are no grey areas; it either is, or it isn't. Now, Sudoku isn't math, and you don't need math to do the puzzles. However, that affinity for simplicity that math evokes comes through in the puzzles.

I like doing these puzzles because, whether they are simple or difficult, I have to pay attention. They are one of the only ways I can block out all the assaults on my senses and focus my brain, if only momentarily, on one task.

They aren't exercise. They are rest. They are escape.

Yes, I'm odd. I like me that way. I also do math for fun.

No comments: