Monday, February 18, 2008

Driving

Driving in British Columbia is unlike driving in most other provinces.

I can say this objectively, having driven in most of the other provinces at some point in the last ten years, both winter and summer. Every place has its unique challenges, but for sheer natural obstacles, BC takes the cake.

This past week, I drove to Vancouver. Normally a six hour undertaking, I had to detour through the Fraser Canyon because avalanche danger (and avalanches) had closed the toll highway. Big deal, right?

Well, any time you hear the word "detour" in Toronto it may involve going a few blocks out of your way. This minor detour involves rerouting traffic over a precarious two lane, pothole-ridden highway clinging to the side of a mountain.

Throw in some fog, black ice, melting snow, slush, and angry truckers, and you get one heck of a road trip.

Normally, I enjoy driving. It is a creative time for me. The trip home over dry roads through the sunshine had me humming new songs after an influx of inspiration. (Despite the fact I felt, the entire way east, that I was headed in the wrong direction. But that's a whole other story.)

I like the mountains, and I love seeing my friends and family. I just wish I could have all that without the epic vehicular adventures.

No comments: